Friday, October 8, 2010

Rejoicing in Hope

Today I was reading through Hebrews 11 which I came to in my consecutive reading through the Bible.  Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  I am also working to memorize Romans 12:9-21.  In verse 12, it says, "Rejoice in hope...."

I started to think of how "rejoicing" is connected to faith.  In thinking about it, it made me realize that rejoicing is an integral part of faith.  I just recently memorized Titus 3:3-7 in which vs 7 says, "so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life."

Do we truly believe in the hope of eternal life which we have? Do we really believe in the gift we have through Christ and all that he did for us?  If we truly understand that we are now right before God, we will rejoice.  If we are not rejoicing, how can we really have faith? A full understanding of these things in your very heart and soul leads you to respond with rejoicing.

When I consider these three passages.  I get this:   Faith is having the assurance that I am a heir to eternal life and I will rejoice in this hope.

There are other things that are an important part of faith as well but this idea of "rejoicing in hope" and "the assurance of things hoped for" really jumped out at me.  It always excites me when I see the dots connect like this from multiple different places.  It makes me wonder what it is God is trying to teach me.  In this case, I think it is clear.  I need to rejoice more in all that God is doing.

1 comments:

Will Burke said...

There's so much wrong with the world, but you've come across a critical element to keeping oneself from getting bitter about it. There's been no shortage of bitter Believers who seem to have missed this point!

Post a Comment